is aikido worth doing?

A place for meaningless, repeated or just plain stupid posts

is aikido worth doing?

Postby karatemuaythai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:55 pm

so here is the deal,i search a lot for a karate school in the aerea and i found one Place that teaches shito ryu karate once a week,but the school only opens in 3 month-such as the judo school,so i am gona do karate/judo-not shure yet,in the other side i am mondering if i shoud do aikido for the summer(not just the summer i can cross train all of 3),because i really dont see how Pratical can a martial art be when they only teach joint lock,but then again judo only teaches grapling

so here is my question

in your opinio you think it whoud be whort it?
Lyoto Machida: "Karate is back!"
GSP: "I’m very happy that I learned Karate when I was young."
Mike Ciesnolevicz: "Karate when taught the right way can be highly effective."

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Re: is aikido worth doing?

Postby Beetle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:02 pm

no.
Beetle
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby AnotherRandommGuy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:05 pm

not really
ImageImage Someday I'm gonna be someone somebody's gonna wanna shoot at
AnotherRandommGuy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jef_jon_son » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:09 pm

why not?
it can only complement whatever else you are studying.
ive seen guys subbed in bjj with akido joint locks (on the open matt)
jef_jon_son
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby Indra » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:18 pm

It totally depends on why you are taking martial arts. Aikido is, at its core, the Way of Harmony, a very spiritual undertaking, relying heavily on the practitioner's development of ki. I don't believe aikido is of much use to someone interested in competing in martial sports, it's simply not why the art was devised (if you can even say it was devised).

Taken from an article on the founder Morehei Ueshiba, on the inception of aikido:

Morihei was on a spiritual quest and was transformed by three visions. The first occurred in 1925, when Morihei was forty-two years old. After defeating a high-ranking swordsman by avoiding all his cuts and thrusts (Morihei was unarmed), Morihei went into his garden. “Suddenly the earth trembled. Golden vapor welled up from the ground and engulfed me. I felt transformed into a golden image, and my body seemed as light as a feather. All at once I understood the nature of creation: the Way of a Warrior is to manifest Divine Love, a spirit that embraces and nurtures all things. Tears of gratitude and joy streamed down my cheeks. I saw the entire earth as my home, and the sun, moon, and stars as my intimate friends. All attachment to material things vanished.”

The second vision took place in December of 1940. “Around two o’clock in the morning as I was performing ritual purification, I suddenly forgot every martial art technique I ever learned. All of the techniques handed down from my teachers appeared completely anew. Now they were vehicles for the cultivation of life, knowledge, virtue, and good sense, not devices to throw and pin people.”

The third vision was in 1942, during the worst of the fighting of World War II and in one of the darkest periods of human history. Morihei had a vision of the Great Spirit of Peace, a path that could lead to the elimination of all strife and the reconciliation of humankind. “The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood as a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek competition are making a grave mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst sin a human being can commit. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent slaughter - it is the Art of Peace, the power of love.” Morihei secluded himself in the country and devoted every minute of his life thereafter to refining and spreading Aikido, the Art of Peace.

(http://www.losangelesaikikai.org/aikido/o-sensei/)

If this sounds like a path you are interested in walking, a direction you want to take your life, then you should.
Indra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby MmaTender » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Every martial art has something to bring to the table. You can't use the joint locks in mma however, The concepts you get from the art can be invaluable... Because of the first day lesson I learned in karate as a kid years ago, on instinct when someone tries to control my hands in the guard I switch it to controlling their hands... One of my best counters to a jab in boxing came from JKD... Those are examples of how things work, practice anything you want and be mindful in how it applies to other arts and sports
MmaTender
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dagwood » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:39 pm

jef_jon_son wrote:why not?

IMO - Learn as much as you can from as many places as you can. Take the best of all styles of MA that you study and put them together into your own style with many different influences. Essentially this is what Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and even the scoffed at by many, Steven Seagal has done.

On the Seagal front... he has been instructing U.S. special forces like Delta Force, the Navy seals and Police SWAT etc... for over 30 years in hand to hand combat, up-close combat with knives/etc... and marksmanship. He is a recognized in expert in all.

Funny how so many here laugh at him and ridicule him.:oops: For some strange reason the best of the best trained U.S. combat troops and their commanders sure don't.

"Condemnation without investigation (experiment/trial) is the height of IGNORANCE." - Albert Einstein

P.S. - Joint locks are used everyday by law enforcement. Many a huge combative dude has been subdued by smaller people than them... or by a few smaller people than them. Fingers & toes are the easiest bones to break followed by the hands and wrists. A small women can snap the fingers or toes of a big man. This is why finger & toe manipulation, the only small joints of these is illegal in MMA.

I still dont like Dana..
dagwood
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ruttenbas » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:41 pm

no
ruttenbas
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ruttenbas » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm

MmaTender wrote:Every martial art has something to bring to the table.

That is a myth
ruttenbas
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Beetle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

jef_jon_son wrote:why not?

Joint locks are part of bjj.. Can't get a kimura or armbar locked in? Go for a wrist lock, can't defend it.
Beetle
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby thepenismightier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Get good at it and then you can teach Anderson Silva how to start finally knocking people out
thepenismightier
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm

1-LOL

2-the reason that i am taking martial arts is for 2 reasons
1-be good at figthing/self defense
2-good for the body and an osam free time activie

3-what concerns me is that i can be wasting my time,since there is also kickboxing around here more expensive,in other case aikido is cheaper and is near the aerea

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm

thepenismightier wrote:Get good at it and then you can teach Anderson Silva how to start finally knocking people out

you made my day :mrgreen:

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby karatemuaythai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm

one more thing my old judo teacher did aikido,and the whay he stoPed my taekdows was by pressure point also in the ground he did some aikido locks that where really Painfull

but then again i remeber a black belt in aikido telling me that aikido "wasnt" alowed in the ufc, because some of the moves more to dangerous,so dangerous that you coud easly break an arm

karatemuaythai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby BakMan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Depends on what you want to do with it
Favourite Fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, BJ Penn, Dominic Cruz, Brock Lesnar
BakMan
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Internet Wasteland