Condition shins

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Condition shins

Postby tron8 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I dont much prior kick boxing experience but i like the idea of throwing kicks in fights.

What are some good beginners methods to condition some my shins?
tron8
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Re: Condition shins

Postby RebelSaki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 pm

start kicking stuff. not really any other way.
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Postby scrotumspeedbagger » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Same as conditioning any bone.
Your bones are filled with tiny "air pockets". You need to hit hard objects and cause these pockets to "crack" and disappear, eventually leaving a solid bone. I've seen monks softly punching concrete to cause small fractures that will remove these pockets without doing intense damage to their hands.
You could start by wrapping a blanket around a tree. Keep kicking until you feel confident in removing the blanket.
scrotumspeedbagger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 am

Does anyone really know the cost/benefit of how much hardening your shins and knuckles can take without damaging bones and joints in LONG-TERM?
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby scrotumspeedbagger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm

biscuits69 wrote:Does anyone really know the cost/benefit of how much hardening your shins and knuckles can take without damaging bones and joints in LONG-TERM?

Good question.
I don't see any real negative issues when it comes to shins and bones, but I'd imagine that joints (knuckles/elbows) could suffer down the road. I don't know too much about the "long term cost", so hopefully someone else will chime in.
However, for a fighters career length, I think that hardening the bone is important. Some fighters (mainly boxers) repeatedly break their hands and I think that causes a lot of long term damage as well; more so than conditioning your hands. A fighter with dense bones is much less likely to break his hand once, let alone numerous times.
I've KB for about 7 years and I've had minute fractures in my hands, but nothing serious.
Either way, I don't think that you can strike hard objects repeatedly without doing long term damage; just wear and tear.
scrotumspeedbagger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby biscuits69 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:15 pm

scrotumspeedbagger wrote:
biscuits69 wrote:Does anyone really know the cost/benefit of how much hardening your shins and knuckles can take without damaging bones and joints in LONG-TERM?

Good question.
I don't see any real negative issues when it comes to shins and bones, but I'd imagine that joints (knuckles/elbows) could suffer down the road. I don't know too much about the "long term cost", so hopefully someone else will chime in.
However, for a fighters career length, I think that hardening the bone is important. Some fighters (mainly boxers) repeatedly break their hands and I think that causes a lot of long term damage as well; more so than conditioning your hands. A fighter with dense bones is much less likely to break his hand once, let alone numerous times.
I've KB for about 7 years and I've had minute fractures in my hands, but nothing serious.
Either way, I don't think that you can strike hard objects repeatedly without doing long term damage; just wear and tear.

Thank you, pretty insightful answer. You are definitely right about underconditioning doing more long-term damage from repeatedly breaking hands. So...hit something solid a couple times? Maybe...my friends forehead? You know just to be realistic and all. I imagine this being the most effective way for hands... Not to the point of any pain or swelling though
Most awesome fighters in the world
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Shogun Rua
Lyoto Machida
Dominick Cruz
Vitor Belfort
Urijah Faber
Bigfoot Silva
Junior Dos Santos
Brian Stann
Craig Wildman
biscuits69
1 Account Bet Win
1 Account Bet Win

Postby scrotumspeedbagger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 pm

biscuits69 wrote:
scrotumspeedbagger wrote:

Good question.

Thank you, pretty insightful answer. You are definitely right about underconditioning doing more long-term damage from repeatedly breaking hands. So...hit something solid a couple times? Maybe...my friends forehead? You know just to be realistic and all. I imagine this being the most effective way for hands... Not to the point of any pain or swelling though

:lol:

I found the vid of the monks punching the concrete wall with news paper padding. This is a good way to solidify the bones without causing a lot of damage. You can tell that his hands are already well conditioned, and the wall itself verifies this.
Check around the 3min mark.

scrotumspeedbagger
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby maliha » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 am

I had just watched Anderson's episode of all access, and he has a cool reflex training drill that he does (with his partner throwing the tennis ball at him while he dodges it) do you guys know of any other effective reflex training techniques?
maliha
White Belt
White Belt

Postby The Smurf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:31 am

tron8 wrote:I dont much prior kick boxing experience but i like the idea of throwing kicks in fights.

What are some good beginners methods to condition some my shins?

if you have nunchacks...how u spell that cunt...start hitting ur chins slightly with them...after a bit u wont feel it..especially if u are high..

then u can start kicking trees ..but not very hard..

Openweight Linker Giveaway Champion of the World.
The Smurf
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Survivor

Postby muythaijitsu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:32 pm

I have strong shins from years of conditioning. What worked best for me to get the initial phase over is simply with a wooden stick. Make sure it has no pointed edges and is round. Just tap the shin bone a few hundred times softly up and down, and let it heal the next day. Every other day tap them again, and allow 1 more day to heal. Before you know it you can smack that stick hard and you wont even feel it. Than you can kick the bag as hard as you want and it wont do anything to your shins. Just make sure you hit the shin at the proper angle, and start softly up and down.
muythaijitsu
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby KidVelvet » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:07 am

muythaijitsu wrote:I have strong shins from years of conditioning. What worked best for me to get the initial phase over is simply with a wooden stick. Make sure it has no pointed edges and is round. Just tap the shin bone a few hundred times softly up and down, and let it heal the next day. Every other day tap them again, and allow 1 more day to heal. Before you know it you can smack that stick hard and you wont even feel it. Than you can kick the bag as hard as you want and it wont do anything to your shins. Just make sure you hit the shin at the proper angle, and start softly up and down.

This is the way to do it.
You can also use to the stick, Glass bottle or rolling pin tho tap lightly but painful up and down the shin bone and then use a lineament such as Nam Man Muay or counter pain hot and then roll your device up and down your shin very hard with the lineament on for 10 mins or so on each shin. This will help it heal much much faster and crush any small air pockets as well.
Professinal Muay Thai Figther = 4w 4l
Amatuar record = 15w 4l
Fights at Lumpine and ratchadamnoen stadium
KidVelvet
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Conn Cop » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:21 am

Hardening your shin bone is actually a myth. What you really are doing is killing your nerves so you don't feel the pain. Many people take rolling pins and "roll" their shins, or the Thai fighters kicking banana trees ect. I'd stay clear of all of this though. You can, if training long enough, deform the bone and cause what amounts to a callous on the bone which is usually harder than the bone but again this is a deformation of your bone and is not really a good idea. You only get one body.

You normal course of training will be enough to get your legs used to kicking.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
Conn Cop
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Punisher11 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Conn Cop wrote:Hardening your shin bone is actually a myth. What you really are doing is killing your nerves so you don't feel the pain. Many people take rolling pins and "roll" their shins, or the Thai fighters kicking banana trees ect. I'd stay clear of all of this though. You can, if training long enough, deform the bone and cause what amounts to a callous on the bone which is usually harder than the bone but again this is a deformation of your bone and is not really a good idea. You only get one body.

You normal course of training will be enough to get your legs used to kicking.

Beat me to it.

P.s

Kick the heavy bag 100 times each leg, light sparring with kicks, the method mentioned at the start with the padded wall is okay as well, kick light.

Another thing is jump squats/box jumps with weights.

Rolling pins, beating your nerves with the stick exc will all cause long term damage.
14-8
Official P4P Champ- Voted by linker.
Next Level Bet Academy

JD1-My votes went to Punisher11, I think they would take out the Diaz bros in a tag team match.
Cheeburger " tell the legend of punisher 11"
fragiskos- punisher11 legend material, if you think otherwise you are a true noob
jtuck34- no one is stupid enough stand up with that guy
the209of505-The Legend of Punisher is best recounted by Johhny Ringo: "Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
tron8-punisher is the diaz killa!

Punisher11
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby mike10helson » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:43 am

The episodes of Anderson's episode are must watch. With the partner the training he does is worth watching. Regarding the negative issues, i don't see any when it comes to shins and bones.
The app developers for hire in India at debutinfotech have the skills to develop mobile application for both android & iOS platform
mike10helson
White Belt
White Belt