Importance of Hydration

From couch potato to Title Holder, what to eat to stay in top shape

Re: Importance of Hydration

Postby KC Masterpiece » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:48 am

kingomegared wrote:my drill sargent used to always say "drink water"

I always say that one of the few things that has stuck with me most from military training was water consumption. Training in 95 degree heat everyday, the SI's were absolutely inflexible when it came to keeping your canteen as full as possible as often as possible (not to mention the way we held it and the way we drank from it :lol: ). I still have no problem drinking 8 or more 12 oz glasses of water a day (I don't think I could stop if I wanted to).

That being said, I've also discovered the benefits of coconut water. Here is a study that concludes that coconut water is "as good as" a sports drink for post exercise re-hydration. What it doesn't consider is how many sports drinks are absolute garbage and what coconut water can offer that sports drinks cant, like potassium and better "fluid tolerance."

If you haven't tried coconut water, I recommend it. I drink 12 oz during and 12 after every non-resistance based exercise session.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby Irishdonal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:46 pm

not being smart are but if your trying to cut fat cofee is good for that purpose?
knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, intelligence is knowing that you don't put a tomato in the fruit bowl
Irishdonal
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby vraetorian » Tue May 18, 2010 1:42 pm

How about making your own sports drink?

I would think that it would make sense to add Unrefined raw sea salt (Electrolytes), not table salt, into water to make a sports drink, rather than drinking gatorade? -Also, how many tsp per cup of water would you use?

Also, to add more carbohydrates to the drink, you could always add in as much (or little) sugar as you wanted (Does it matter what type of sugar-Suggestions?) . And maybe a drop of flavoring

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on making a good sports drink
vraetorian
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby mma freak » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 am

ThirdCoastCombat wrote: Caffeine is a "pesticide" given off by the bean to keep the bugs from eating it.

The rush you get from your coffee is your body speeding up your metabolism to rid itself of this poison, and your body steals water from everywhere to help flush the caffeine out.

now that is some shit that i never knew! crazy shit .glad i dont drink coffee. Unfortunatley i consume everything else on the list in high volumes.
mma freak
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby vraetorian » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm interested in the science and timing of re-hydrating.

How much water can the human body digest in one sitting?

I'd like to hydrate myself as efficiently as possible, without depleting nutrients by drinking excessive amounts of water at one time ...that' I'm likely to piss away 30minutes later :?

:idea: Anyone have the stats on how much or little the body can intake within a given timeframe :?:
vraetorian
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Trioxin149 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 am

Good info man, long live water!
Trioxin149
White Belt
White Belt

Postby bart78 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:16 pm

good post thanks !!!!
bart78
White Belt
White Belt

Postby slacker27 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Anyone wanting to lose weight should drink more water.
PIMPS UP FOE DOWN

WAR MMAACHEETAH
slacker27
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby The Smurf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 am

Great post man...thanks
The Smurf

Postby Beastmeng » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 pm

Drinking alot of water doesn't automatically mean you are hydrated. I'm sure everyone can relate to drinking a bunch of water and still being thirsty no matter the amount drank. I think this has to do with sodium levels. Hospital IVs are composed of a saline mixture for a reason. Eating bananas helps balance things and allows for appropriate absorption of water too.

Many people say to drink when thirsty, but I have found that being well hydrated before hard physical exertion is definitely important. Especially doing so the night before.
Unless we are governed by God....we shall be ruled by tyrants - Willam Penn

Beastmeng
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: 2016 Bum Linker of the Year

Previous