The Evolution of MMA - 'From Royce to Damian Maia.'

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am

Royce Gracie

6' - 177 pounds. UFC tournament champion : UFC 1 - UFC 2 - UFC 4.

I could have dragged this thread for days. .. I thought of beggining this 'journey' with a few facts about Royce.. I dont think that there are more than 2 people on here that don't know about Royce.. but I'll do my best to present his best victories below.

a) Dan Severn - 6'2 - 250 pounds - 5th degree black belt in Judo - 2nd degree black belt in Jujutsu.

One of the most decorated HW greco roman wrestlers in the history of sports.

Royce defeted him via triangle choke(from the bottom), after 15:49 mins of the first round. This event was broadcasted live. Because the fight lasted too long, the broadcast 'died' someway through the fight... many fans got a refund, all fans were pissed off.

I wont' go much further.. Royce has only 2 losses. *one to saku - after a 90 mins war(which he avenged) - and one paycheck against mat the train hughes.

He beat Ken Shamrock - the NHB #1 fighter at the time - choke in a minute or so.

Kimo. 4+ ,minutes with a str8 armbar.

+he beat the shit out of Yoshida in their rematch. Yoshida was a hw and a golden metalist in Judo, if im not mistaken. Royce killed him.

*Yoshida almost beat Wandy at the time.

We all have an image of Royce now in our heads..

how about Shields and Damian Maia...??

Do u guys rekkon their sub game is better than Royce's....

Do u also rekkon that their stand up game is better than Royce's?

I, personaly, disagree with both of these questions.. and even if they are indeed better, I dont see them being much better, by no stretch of imagination.

So.. long story short.. I think that Royce, had he been prime now, he could have been the WW and MW champ..

Thoughts?

Last edited by EvilGorilla69+1 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Former Openweight Linker 'Royce' Give away Champion of the World

EvilGorilla69+1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Re: The Evolution of MMA - 'From Royce to Damian Maia.'

Postby tsarlaider » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 am

i think big part of Gracie's success was the "surprise" factor. He used BJJ to beat his opponents when they didnt even know what that was. People werent expecting to lose the way they did.

Its different now. But who knows. Its a hypothetical scenario.

I personaly believe Maia has a better stand up than Gracie.

Moose all day

Mark Hunt "I deal with a wrestler like I deal with every other fighter. I punch them in the mouth."
tsarlaider
Linker Fantasy MMA Champion
Linker Fantasy MMA Champion

Accolades: Jan. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby PainDog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 am

tsarlaider wrote:i think big part of Gracie's success was the "surprise" factor. He used BJJ to beat his opponents when they didnt even know what that was. People werent expecting to lose the way they did.

Its different now. But who knows. Its a hypothetical scenario.

I personaly believe Maia has a better stand up than Gracie.

You're right.

For example in their first match Gracie subbed Shamrock fairly easily, in their rematch when Shamrock understood Gracias game, they fought to a draw.

Maia and Shields are both bigger and stronger than Royce with better wrestling.

"His enemies are not demons,
but human beings like himself.
He doesn’t wish them personal harm.
Nor does he rejoice in victory.
How could he rejoice in victory
and delight in the slaughter of men?"

-Lao Tzu

"Khabib Time"

"Canelo Time"
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby jblaze » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Some of the guys Royce fought were complete cans. He did beat some decent guys and fighting more than once in one night is tough. His accomplishments were outstanding but could he even win fights in the UFC today when everyone has some kind of jujitsu/judo/sambo/catch wrestling background. Rickson would have a better chance winning fights with his skillset in todays UFC.
jblaze
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby mmafan559 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 am

Jake Shields.

Also Royce was a hair-puller.
Join http://www.tinychat.com/mmalinker on fight nights.
MMA nerds only.
Don't be scared, homie.
I have over 2500 likes on Sherdog.
BrdrOkm69 wrote:You can be butthurt as much as you'd like, but keep that pain deep inside your butt where it belongs.

Nate Diaz wrote:I've got real training partners. Top 10 fighters. Top 10 boxers. Top 10 jiu-jitsu guys. Top 10 kickboxers. You're playing touch butt with that dork in the park.

Mr Meow wrote:i log off linker and enjoy a meal out and am thinking about my disdain for mcgregor the whole time
mmafan559
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby philphan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Good post buddy. Maia is just so good, he seems to have tricks Royce never thought of. Either way we will get to see
THE NEW WW CHAMP OF THE WORLD- Damian Maia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
July fighters- Robert Whittaker, Volkan Oezdemir, Kelvin Gastelum, Aljamain Sterling, Demian Maia
300-0 sig bet record
philphan
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby 1098765432 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm

philphan wrote:Good post buddy. Maia is just so good, he seems to have tricks Royce never thought of. Either way we will get to see
Damian Maia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Get KTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt