Tony Ferguson: Just a Lucky Turd?

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Re: Tony Ferguson: Just a Lucky Turd?

Postby ebickmeyer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:41 am

PainDog wrote:
ebickmeyer wrote:
ebickmeyer wrote:

Ok the reason why I posted this vid was because it explains how Ferguson looked like he was getting hit a lot in this fight but he was rolling well with the punches and even on the ground when he was mounted he wasn't getting hit like it appeared to be.

I watched the video and it is a good video.

At the same time the guy almost contradicts himself when he is implying Tony has sound unorthodox defense by lifting his head....and then at 8:50 comments Tony's tendencies to be defenseless.

Being defenseless is having poor defense.

Don't get me wrong he is good at avoiding strikes in the sense he is very good at controlling the range, but he still gets hit clean and hard in almost every single fight.

Even when he wasn't dropped in the RDA fight he ate clean several clean shots that looked like they had power even in the fourth round.

Even in the shitty quality of this video you can clearly see the strikes land.

Even if you consider the number of times Tony gets dropped in fights he wins. The only person I can think of who got dropped as often in fights that he ultimately ended up winning is Dan Henderson...another fighter famous for his chin.

Ok what is starting to really annoy me is just how people magically forget how much damage everyone else in the division has sustained as well. Even Conor who looks good for a round and a half then starts getting lit up because he gets tired. Cardio obviously plays a big role with defense too. Really the only guy who hasn't been touched up that much is Khabib and that's for obvious reasons. Tell me one other guy in the division who hasn't been in multiple bloody wars.
3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 10-7 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: April 2017 MMALinker C-League Fantasy Champion

Postby tsarlaider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 am

Cant find anything at Turds streak that is related to luck. There hasnt been a fight that he won with a lucky punch or that the judges gifted him with a decision.

He does get hit a lot and loses rounds but thats 100% within his game.

There is a good chance that his fighting style will catch up with him and his chin wont hold, but luck has nothing to do with any of this

Moose all day

Mark Hunt "I deal with a wrestler like I deal with every other fighter. I punch them in the mouth."
tsarlaider
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Jan. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby JACKnoneREACHER » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am

tsarlaider wrote:Cant find anything at Turds streak that is related to luck. There hasnt been a fight that he won with a lucky punch or that the judges gifted him with a decision.

He does get hit a lot and loses rounds but thats 100% within his game.

There is a good chance that his fighting style will catch up with him and his chin wont hold, but luck has nothing to do with any of this

:tup:
He's a savage, he annoys the fuck out of me personality wise but he bringS the heat in his fights. He outworks everyone and isn't phased when he takes damage, he doesnt panic or turtld ul, he just keeps doing what he's doing.

Tony is really good not really lucky. And his chin is blessed, he eats huge shots.
Image Image
JACKnoneREACHER
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Survivor

Postby ebickmeyer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am

The guy contradicts himself in the video but is still right on both accounts. Oftentimes Tony rolls with punches and when he can't he gets hit.

ebickmeyer
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby PainDog » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 pm

ebickmeyer wrote:The guy contradicts himself in the video but is still right on both accounts. Oftentimes Tony rolls with punches and when he can't he gets hit.

There is no reason to get aggravated, everyone is giving Tony his dues.

I will not lie, I don’t really like anything about Tony. He might be a good guy to know, he might be a good friend and family member, but I don’t like how his personality comes off in interviews. I don’t like his awkward style of fighting, it just looks ugly and awkward to me, even if it is fast paced. I don’t even like how the guy works out, his deadlifts were the ugliest and most awkward looking deadlifts I have ever seen.

With that said Tony has been incredibly impressive. For all my criticism of his “ugly” or “awkward”, which is really just non-traditional (in any form of martial art) technique, it has worked and has worked against guys with tight and technical skills such as RDA.

I think I have been using the wrong adjectives to describe his defense when I have said “terrible” or “poor”, what I really should be saying is “high risk”.

There is no way to separate offense from defense. Often what is thought of as offensive techniques such as punches and kicks are in the case of jabs, push kicks, and teeps, serving even more of a defensive role than an offensive one. Even then creating the distance which is good for defense is simultaneously creating opportunities for offense.

Even if you take using a full boxing guard, a technique that seems to be exclusively defensive, it can still be used to hide strikes or in the case of Mayweather when he fought McGregor was a technique he used to tire out Conor. It was playing as much an offensive role in weakening McGregor as it was a defensive role in protecting Mayweather.

If we look at Tony his high paced offense helps him with his defense. I think that is part of the reason his opponents striking percentage goes down significantly as fights move beyond the first round.

All of Tony’s offense especially his offensive diversity seems to prevent opponents from getting into a groove. Even if we consider his fight with Kevin Lee. Kevin was anticipated Tony's awkward style of striking, he didn't anticipate his powerful elbows off of his back. When Kevin was getting elbowed in the head he wasn't able to do much ground and pound, and when he was trying to defend himself, he gave Tony the opportunities to go for submissions.

At the same time his style creates potential openings which could have devastating consequences.

Raising his chin to slide above punches is working for him (this is not rolling with punches), but at the same time he is literally tilting his head back and sticking his chin straight in the air. If someone got his distance down and anticipated where his chin would be and threw slightly higher he would be completely exposed for a potentially fighting altering if not fight ending strike.

His jab for all its effectiveness in giving him extra range, also has a high potential risk. He greatly over extends throwing his weight forward and at the same time leaves his head exposed.

Tony’s style works to create both defensive and offensive opportunities but at the same time creates clear and exploitable openings for his opponents.

So far it is working for him, and no one has really been able to deal with it. I keep feeling sooner or later his style of defense is going to catch up with him and he is going to get knocked out bad, but that has yet to happen.

All we have seen is when Tony does get hit, he deals with it very well, and comes back and wins.
Last edited by PainDog on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Every man's life ends the same way.
It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguishes one man from another"

- Ernest Hemingway

"Khabib Time"

"Canelo Time"
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby ebickmeyer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Honestly I was just mad last night at something more personal and I let it show on here. I'm starting to become too much of a Tony nuthugger I guess and am getting emotionally involved in defending him.

ebickmeyer
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby jblaze » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

It's just like when Lawler was champ he's easily beatable but can easily win.
jblaze
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby slevin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Sigbet: 51-35-4

Title Bets: 1-1

slevin
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: 1st ever Draft Style Pick Em Champion
The Last Man Standing: Royal Rumble Champ
Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champ
2014 MMALinker Grand Prix Winner
Survivor
Grand Prix Survivor Champion
June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion
MMALinker August Fantasy Fix GP Champion

Postby robdogj » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 am

wasn't luck bro's
“Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the Attack.” - Sun Tzu
robdogj
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Previous