If the Baddest Pro Wrestler tried MMA

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

If the Baddest Pro Wrestler tried MMA

Postby PainDog » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:37 am

There seems to be a consensus amongst those involved in professional wrestling that the baddest man in the history of the business was none other than the Rock’s “uncle” Tonga 'Uli'uli Fifita known in wrestling as King Tonga, Meng, Haku, among other aliases.

The baddest of all

Before we get to “why” or “how” this man is the “baddest” of all; I want to just quickly give an overview of his country of origin, Tonga, and the Polynesian people in general.

Tonga Fifita was born on the island kingdom of Tonga in 1959. Tonga is one of the many islands in the Pacific Ocean inhabited by Polynesian people. The collection of islands including Samoa, Hawaii, Tahiti among others is collectively referred to as Polynesia.

Polynesia extends east from island Southeast Asia and borders the neighboring island regions of Micronesia and Melanesia. Together Polynesia, Micronesia, Melanesia, along with Australia are referred to as Oceania.

The Polynesian people decent from island Southeast Asians. This is evidenced from the genetics of Polynesians as well as Polynesian culture and language. Island South East Asians (Filipinos, Malaysians, Indonesians) as well as Polynesians likely descend from the indigenous people of Taiwan.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 19844.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141146.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_7uByD4yU
Documentary ^^^

The Polynesian languages group together with the dominant languages of island Southeast Asia in the language group known as Malayo-Polynesian languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayo-Po ... _languages

Not only are there genetic and linguistic ties, but Polynesia shares other traditions with South East Asia such as tattooing, island travel by canoe, and similar traditional patterns for ornamentation and clothing.

Southeast Asians such as this Indonesian share similar customs such as tattooing with Polynesians

The Rock showing off his "modern" Polynesian tattoo

Tonga Fifita was sent to Japan at the age of 14 by the King of Tonga to study sumo. His professional sumo career was short lived, having lasted only from 1974 to 1976. After the death of his sumo stable master, Fifita along with the other Tongan sumotori got into conflict with the stables new stable master and he was forced to retire.

Tonga and fellow future professional wrestler who would be known as the Barbarian

After his sumo career ended Fifita transitioned into Japanese professional wrestling. After making a name for himself in Japan, Fifita would debut in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in 1986.

It was around this time that the legends surrounding Fifita’s toughness and fighting prowess started to develop.
Just read and see what people who knew him had to say about him.

In a radio interview, Bill Goldberg said "I guarantee you, the Steiner Brothers and Meng and The Barbarian would have made a huge splash in the MMA world. I don't know of a human being alive that could take out Meng in his prime. I really don't. One story I remember was when it took like 13 guys to get him out of a bar with Ric Flair. He was pepper sprayed and laughed at the cops and broke the cuffs right in front of them. This was a totally different human being."

Jake "The Snake" Roberts said during one of his shoot interviews: "If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng is 300 yards away, he's mine, right? Well the first thing I'm going to do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don't want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me." In an interview with renowned sports commentator Michael Schiavello, Hulk Hogan was asked to name the legitimate toughest wrestler he knew and he said "Haku for sure".

In a shoot interview, Arn Anderson said "Bar none, the toughest wrestler I ever faced was Meng". When Ric Flair was asked which wrestler would do well in MMA, he said "Don’t ever think that anybody would mess with Haku. If he was a young guy and he got into MMA, my god — he’d have done everything! He was the toughest son of a bitch I’ve ever met in my whole life. No lie, take my word for it.".

"Every man's life ends the same way.
It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguishes one man from another"

- Ernest Hemingway

"Khabib Time"

"Canelo Time"
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Re: If the Baddest Pro Wrestler tried MMA

Postby PainDog » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Hypothetical discussions will always be inconclusive.

However, if MMA had existed when Fifita was young he might very well have been a great martial artist.

There already is evidence of another Polynesian who went on to be a successful martial artist after starting his career as just a "tough" guy. Mark Hunt was discovered by a bouncer after Mark had knocked out several men in a bar fight. Mark would go on to win a muay thai fight around a week after he started training.

And you can't question Mark's natural toughness and durability...

Fifita was already a trained and disciplined martial artist prior to his prowrestling career; he was also a better athlete than Hunt...so perhaps he could have been something special in MMA had it been an option.

It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguishes one man from another"

- Ernest Hemingway

"Khabib Time"

"Canelo Time"
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby DanQuinnsKnockoutJab » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 pm

fucking makes me wish i wasnt born a half-hobbit with a dexterity bonus for slings
DanQuinnsKnockoutJab
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Bullgooseloony » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Soa Palelei is from Tonga I believe. It would be awesome to see more HWs from that region Soa was scary powerful.
Bullgooseloony
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Feb. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion

Postby hawdrigoh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Polynesian,
The toughest son of a bitch,
Hogan also said.

Spoiler:
I remember hearing some stories about him a long time ago...from reading more now it sounds like he was the man :beer:
hawdrigoh
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby philphan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Great call man, he was a beast by everyone's accounts. And to add to that line of thinking, I would like to add another name. Superfly Jimmi Snooka

Spoiler:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
October Fighters-Fabricio Werdum, Darren Till, Beneil Dariush, John Lineker, Neiman Gracie
300-0 sig bet record
philphan
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby Mr Meow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Haku was a beast and if he trained mma would have done well most likely.

At a wrestling convention I went to back around 2014 or so Ted Dibiase and Jake Roberts told a story of seeing Haku screw off lug nuts off a tire with his bare hands. His grip strength was things of legends apparently

Hacksaw Jim Duggan has gone on record to say how tough Haku was as well. Apparently Hacksaw got semi knocked out while leaving the ring (when he was a bad guy and not the hacksaw character he later adopted) during a show in Hawaii and Haku came out of the back, dragged Duggan by one foot into the locker room and was pie facing huge Samoan spectators with his free hand like they were flies.

Paindog covered the majority of his tough guy tales. Dude was a beast and still could kick the majority of our asses

Kurt Angle obviously would be another wrestler who could easily have had a good mma career

The forgotten one is a dude named Danny Hodge. Hodge was a 3 time national wrestling champ in college and pinned all 3 of his championship competition. He also had a long amateur boxing background were a big time gym passed over rocky marciano to train Hodge because Hodge looked better as am amateur. He had a pro career of 8-2 before turning to wraaaasling.

Dude can also crush an apple with his bare hands to this day (he is 84 now) because of double tendons in his hands and wrist. Crazy grip strength.

Officially 4-1 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: October Team: Bibulatov, Dariush, Trice, Wireckz,
Mr Meow
1st Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Nov. 2015, Dec. 2015, Jan. 2016, April 2016, May 2016, Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, 2016 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Postby PainDog » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:08 am

Appreciate all the comments guys :hand1:

I didn't watch or listen to Meryl Streep's infamous speech, however I read that she insulted MMA for its lack of diversity. The fact that someone could get in front of a camera and say that while being broadcast to millions of people around the world blows my mind.

MMA is the most diverse sport in the world; it's lineages come from around the planet and from across time.

Part of the reason I wrote the original post was because Fifita's story touches on several areas that I have an interest in, such as Polynesian culture, sumo, and the old "shoot" element that several professional wrestlers had back in the day....as Meow has mentioned below

Mr Meow wrote:Kurt Angle obviously would be another wrestler who could easily have had a good mma career

The forgotten one is a dude named Danny Hodge. Hodge was a 3 time national wrestling champ in college and pinned all 3 of his championship competition. He also had a long amateur boxing background were a big time gym passed over rocky marciano to train Hodge because Hodge looked better as am amateur. He had a pro career of 8-2 before turning to wraaaasling.

Dude can also crush an apple with his bare hands to this day (he is 84 now) because of double tendons in his hands and wrist. Crazy grip strength.

Before MMA there wasn't really an avenue for a traditional martial artist (hate this term by the way) or a grappler to make money utilizing their skills, except for transitioning into the dramatized world of pro-wrestling.

Pro-wrestling organizations which were largely regional before the rise of the WWF in the 80's would keep on roster several legitimate grapplers known as "hookers" guys as Frank Gotch, Ed "Strangler" Lewis, Farmer Burns and Antonio Inoki.

To be honest I got into MMA from Japanese pro-wrestling. I used to watch the UWF and the UWFI and thought it was real; I mean it looked real to me at the time.
I really bought into all the hype around Nobuhiko Takada being the best fighter around...

Either way Japanese catch wrestling and shoot wrestling would evolve into Japanese MMA such as Pancrase, and catch wrestlers such as Funaki, Sakuraba, and Ken Shamrock would go on to become Mixed Martial Arts legends.

An interesting wrestling match that turned real was when the Great Antonio wasn't selling Antonio Inoki's moves, so Inoki got pissed and beat the fuck out of him

Despite legit slapping him around, Inoki is still clearly holding back

- Ernest Hemingway

"Khabib Time"

"Canelo Time"
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby bruins2012 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:21 am

^^The guy wouldn't sell and to top it off he was chopping Inoki's neck.....a no-no in wrasslin.^^

Saw a long article on that match a while ago, I'll see if I can find it.

:P
For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself. This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat.

bruins2012
8th Professional Linker Victory
8th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2015-2016 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, July 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Aug. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, May 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion

Postby mmafan559 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:26 am

DanQuinnsKnockoutJab wrote:fucking makes me wish i wasnt born a half-hobbit with a dexterity bonus for slings

Join https://discord.gg/tTqYyMc on fight nights.
MMA nerds only.
Don't be scared, homie.
I have over 3,000 likes on Sherdog.
BrdrOkm69 wrote:You can be butthurt as much as you'd like, but keep that pain deep inside your butt where it belongs.

Nate Diaz wrote:I've got real training partners. Top 10 fighters. Top 10 boxers. Top 10 jiu-jitsu guys. Top 10 kickboxers. You're playing touch butt with that dork in the park.

Mr Meow wrote:i log off linker and enjoy a meal out and am thinking about my disdain for mcgregor the whole time
mmafan559

Postby OuchThatDidntHurt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 am

A young Andre the Giant was also said to be quite impressive. I mostly remember him as a big lumbering guy who was slow and could barely move in the ring, but in his early days he was quite agile. He didn't have as much size, but he was still massive enough to be a nightmare matchup. According to the stories he never trained, drank ridiculous amounts of booze and allegedly flipped a small car filled with four guys that made him lose his temper. Wrestling embellished his height and weight, but he was a big dude.

At the age of 19:

A little older, but before his condition affected his health:
OuchThatDidntHurt
Green Belt
Green Belt