HBO 24/7: Ward vs Kovalev 2

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Re: HBO 24/7: Ward vs Kovalev 2

Postby mark7 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Idk the rules for this situation, but kovalev did the equivalent of turtling up in mma. He wasn't fighting back, so I wasnt surprised they stopped it. I thought they were supposed to give him the 10 count, but I figured they didn't because he didn't take knee. It was a decent fight, so I would have rather seen a 10 count.
"I had to come into this fight...straight... fat boy off the beach of Cabo, but its all good" Nate Diaz
mark7
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Survivor x2

Postby Shuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Verne wrote:Was I not watching the same fight? He was getting battered and was done.

The ref isn't obliged to give a standing count when the fighter is done.

lol'd cause I thought you were kidding

he def was getting beat up that round but it was nowhere near worthy of a stoppage, not even for today's standards.. you could hear pauli malinaggi sound so damn confused when it happened, and he is prob one of the best boxer analysts in the biz right now, he couldn't grasp how quickly it was stopped & I agree
TriggyWhore2025-Alpha: "Cuck get ready 2b buried by a whitebelt. Gonna drag this out for wks"
Few days Later.. :thunder:
TriggyWhore2025-Beta: "My favorite part is the fact that I gave up and he is still coming at me"

Spoiler:
COWBOY / NBK / KK / THE ANSWER / MONSOON - 4LIFE - :hand:

~~"Do or Do Not.. There is No Try.." -Y~~
Shuck
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby slevin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:23 pm

mark7 wrote:Idk the rules for this situation, but kovalev did the equivalent of turtling up in mma. He wasn't fighting back, so I wasnt surprised they stopped it. I thought they were supposed to give him the 10 count, but I figured they didn't because he didn't take knee. It was a decent fight, so I would have rather seen a 10 count.

My issue was that the two punches Ward landed looked low, if they were legit body shots I wouldnt mind them. But they look like they hit Kovalev in the groin.
Sigbet: 51-35-4

Title Bets: 1-1

slevin
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 1st ever Draft Style Pick Em Champion
The Last Man Standing: Royal Rumble Champ
Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champ
2014 MMALinker Grand Prix Winner
Survivor
Grand Prix Survivor Champion

Postby Verne » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:51 pm

slevin wrote:
mark7 wrote:Idk the rules for this situation, but kovalev did the equivalent of turtling up in mma. He wasn't fighting back, so I wasnt surprised they stopped it. I thought they were supposed to give him the 10 count, but I figured they didn't because he didn't take knee. It was a decent fight, so I would have rather seen a 10 count.

My issue was that the two punches Ward landed looked low, if they were legit body shots I wouldnt mind them. But they look like they hit Kovalev in the groin.

That's fair enough, Slev. Other than that, I just can't see the problem with it - he was utterly fucked and looked like a weeble.
Verne
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby hawdrigoh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Shuck wrote:he def was getting beat up that round but it was nowhere near worthy of a stoppage, not even for today's standards.. you could hear pauli malinaggi sound so damn confused when it happened, and he is prob one of the best boxer analysts in the biz right now, he couldn't grasp how quickly it was stopped & I agree

Yeah I agree that was very quick. Ward going on a nut hunt didn't help things either. Just an unfortunate ending to a very good fight up until that point.
hawdrigoh
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Postby SpeakEasy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Krusher turned his back multiple times and had just been rocked by a huge cross.
Why are you guys ignoring the damage he took prior to what may or may not have been low blows?
Ward landed hard shots, repeatedly, that went unanswered and when he started throwing shots that were on either side of the foul line Kovalev does nothing at all but bend over.
Because not all of them were even debatable, he absolutely was bongo drumming Sergeis sides.
If you're telling me that he got his dong dinged by all of those body shots and just reeled over than Kovalev may have an iron dong.
I saw ward implementing a great game plan and you could see each fighter had polar opposite game plans, Kovalev game out full throttle while Ward was giving it a little more gas each round.
Stoppage was justified and it should be or at least I think it should be, obvious that Kovalev drastically slowed down after his strong start and Ward was right on the money when he said the fight doesn't really start till the 6th.
Like I said, Kovalev should stay away from Ward for a bit, Ward will only get better the more familiar he is with Kovalev.
"A lion is called a king of beasts,
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Accolades: Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby hawdrigoh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 pm

^^ No one is ignoring what Ward did prior to the final (potential) low blows. That right he connected with was perfect and I don't doubt it was close to the end for Kovalev. But the fight has to go longer than that in my opinion...low blows or not. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

As for how another fight would go, I agree it would be hard to bet against Ward.
hawdrigoh

Postby Shuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:53 pm

hawdrigoh wrote:^^ No one is ignoring what Ward did prior to the final (potential) low blows. That right he connected with was perfect and I don't doubt it was close to the end for Kovalev. But the fight has to go longer than that in my opinion...low blows or not. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

As for how another fight would go, I agree it would be hard to bet against Ward.

+1 :star:
TriggyWhore2025-Alpha: "Cuck get ready 2b buried by a whitebelt. Gonna drag this out for wks"
TriggyWhore2025-Beta: "My favorite part is the fact that I gave up and he is still coming at me"

Spoiler:

Shuck
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby 1098765432 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

pithikos wrote:Ward wins the first one with the judges, the second one with the ref. This two fight series has left a sour taste in my mouth and reminded me why I lost interest in boxing and focused more on MMA for combat entertainment

Oh like the same shitty refs and shady Judge's are any better in MMA?! :lol:
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby 1098765432 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Stole this from a YouTuber but
TKO-Testicular Knock Out.
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby pithikos » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:40 pm

1098765432 wrote:
pithikos wrote:Ward wins the first one with the judges, the second one with the ref. This two fight series has left a sour taste in my mouth and reminded me why I lost interest in boxing and focused more on MMA for combat entertainment

Oh like the same shitty refs and shady Judge's are any better in MMA?! :lol:

come on the fuck ups in mma or the weird scorecards dont come close to comparison with boxing
ImageImage
pithikos
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby Shuck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:11 am

Post fight interview.. Looking it over again the shots actually look lower then initially thought. Do believe Kov was hurt bad and looking for a way to get either a breather or pt deduction for ward but come onnn man.. pauli sums it all up at the beginning.

Spoiler:

Shuck
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Shuck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:20 am

5min in & this post fight press conference is gold :lol:

"ward is son of a judges"
"i don't have metal balls"

Spoiler:

Shuck
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Bullgooseloony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 am

slevin wrote:
Bullgooseloony wrote:

What a shame, a clear shot to the bollocks and the ref is already moving in to wave it off as a TKO. I hope Sergei can get a no contest out of this at the very least. Good luck with that in the NSAC! sMH

Never knew you were British. Yeah that shit sucked, the finish looked pretty good, but I can't even tell which strikes were low and which were to the stomach.

It seems like all of them were fair until the finish.

I'm no fucking Brit! I'm just an enthusiast of filthy language 8)

SoCal born and raised ma fugga!
Bullgooseloony
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Feb. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion

Previous