Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby JGunner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 am

https://instagram.com/p/BTEVdLWDHP8/

I've been studying since 5am and don't feel like writing a summary so just read this, watch the trailer. Hopefully this can attract a lot of good free agents and we can see a much needed change in mma.

Works cited:

Some guy on instagram blah blah blah
"She got a big booty so I call her big booty" - 2chainz

Image

Sigbet record (2 - 2)
JGunner
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Accolades: Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Dec. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, March 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby SpeakEasy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

Seems legit.
http://www.professionalfightersleague.com

This was the wsof.com webpage, now it autodirects you to pfl.
I'm curious how this works out, I do hope it draws in some talented fighters.
But I'm also curious to see if the total grand prize draws in any other athletes that may not have made the jump before without the allusion of money.
Like gymnast, figure skaters and rowers people who do these Olympic level sports but have no avenue once they complete their trials.
I'm just curious if something like $10 mil could be enough to entice some of these other athletes, potentially even a basketball player or football player who just wants to give it a try.
Wonder if they'll lean on IFL and some of their old formats.

Good find Gunner, interesting to hear more about this.


Edit: also curious if anyone thinks PFL will be a name that gains them attention and fans?
Given how most people don't know that MMA is not called UFC it may be weird for people to hear something like PFL.
It is far nicer than PMMA or NMMAA but some people might tune in expecting a different thing or maybe just a league dedicated to multiple different "fighters" from kickboxers to extreme arm wrestling or something.
There was a league that once offered all different types of combat fights in one event, can't remember what they're called right now.
Anyways just curious about the name as well, to me it sounds more professional saying PFL and also opens the door for a PFLA which also sounds way better than MMAA.
"A lion is called a king of beasts,
Image
obviously for a reason."
User avatar
SpeakEasy
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 am
Accolades: Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby Shuck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 am

Image
Reason2Duck wrote:So who's deleting my old account?

TriggyWhore2025-Alpha: "Cuck get ready 2b buried by a whitebelt. Gonna drag this out for wks"
Few days Later.. :thunder:
TriggyWhore2025-Beta: "My favorite part is the fact that I gave up and he is still coming at me"
Image
Spoiler:
COWBOY / NBK / KK / THE ANSWER - 4LIFE - :hand:
~~"Do or Do Not.. There is No Try.." -Y~~
User avatar
Shuck
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ
 
Posts: 5477
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Swamp Forests of Dirty Jerzy

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby DeceptaCon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 am

Image
Spoiler:
Image
B-enjamen
Alexander Volkov, Ilir Latifi, Uriah Hall, David Branch 
Image
Are you ready for the last great deception?
User avatar
DeceptaCon
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 11713
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 pm
Location: Stalking Ker in the Mall of Germany
Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby Mr Meow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 am

Hmmmm very interesting. Good work Jgunner sir for finding this.

It kinda sounds like they are moving to what Bellator use to do with the tournaments. However this version sounds a bit more rounded out and offers a lot more prize money.

ROAD FC (in Korea) currently is the middle of a 32 man lightweight tournament with a 1 million dollar prize. Seems like this might be a bit of a trend

I personally like the idea. Rizin GP's, Pride GP's, Bellaturd tournaments, all good stuff. Hell even rumble on the rock had a sick ass tournament back in the day (the one with condit, trigg, okami, etc)

WSOF still has a lot of talent on that roster. Making it a league with tournaments would be a good way to differentiate itself from other organizations, as well as shake a stick at the UFC for the blatantly bias (cough cough bisping cough cough) title defense as of late. In a tournament the winner fights for the belt, simple as that. "The WSOF is where you earn your title shots, not just get them handed to you." type deal
Image

Officially 4-1 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. overall A league record 49-27 (33 finishes) :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: September team: Magomedsharipov, Edilov, Wilkinson, Mccccccmaaaan
User avatar
Mr Meow
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 8105
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Lin Kuei training camp
Accolades: Nov. 2015, Dec. 2015, Jan. 2016, April 2016, May 2016, Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, 2016 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby willis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 am

Shuck wrote:Image


Image
ImageImage
1-0 sigbets
User avatar
willis
Red Belt
Red Belt
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Oh Canada
Accolades: May 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby JGunner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 pm

SpeakEasy wrote:Seems legit.
http://www.professionalfightersleague.com

This was the wsof.com webpage, now it autodirects you to pfl.
I'm curious how this works out, I do hope it draws in some talented fighters.
But I'm also curious to see if the total grand prize draws in any other athletes that may not have made the jump before without the allusion of money.
Like gymnast, figure skaters and rowers people who do these Olympic level sports but have no avenue once they complete their trials.
I'm just curious if something like $10 mil could be enough to entice some of these other athletes, potentially even a basketball player or football player who just wants to give it a try.
Wonder if they'll lean on IFL and some of their old formats.

Good find Gunner, interesting to hear more about this.


Edit: also curious if anyone thinks PFL will be a name that gains them attention and fans?
Given how most people don't know that MMA is not called UFC it may be weird for people to hear something like PFL.
It is far nicer than PMMA or NMMAA but some people might tune in expecting a different thing or maybe just a league dedicated to multiple different "fighters" from kickboxers to extreme arm wrestling or something.
There was a league that once offered all different types of combat fights in one event, can't remember what they're called right now.
Anyways just curious about the name as well, to me it sounds more professional saying PFL and also opens the door for a PFLA which also sounds way better than MMAA.


Yeah it would be pretty awesome to see if it develops the sport a bit or opens up opportunity.

We need something new... it still baffles me as to why the UFC hasn't hosted a tournament at least once in its modern days.

I wonder if it's 10 million per weight class...
"She got a big booty so I call her big booty" - 2chainz

Image

Sigbet record (2 - 2)
JGunner
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Accolades: Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Dec. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, March 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby Shuck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:40 pm

:pointup: yup, spot on.. & def not 10mill per weight class or else they would be filing chapter 11 after the 1st yr, still crushes what the ufc pays their mid to low tier guys
Reason2Duck wrote:So who's deleting my old account?

TriggyWhore2025-Alpha: "Cuck get ready 2b buried by a whitebelt. Gonna drag this out for wks"
Few days Later.. :thunder:
TriggyWhore2025-Beta: "My favorite part is the fact that I gave up and he is still coming at me"
Image
Spoiler:
COWBOY / NBK / KK / THE ANSWER - 4LIFE - :hand:
~~"Do or Do Not.. There is No Try.." -Y~~
User avatar
Shuck
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ
 
Posts: 5477
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Swamp Forests of Dirty Jerzy

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby The Smurf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm

this is interesting. Looks like WSOF got bought out and now PFL will be like other sports with an on and off season. Tournament bracket based should be interesting. Very interested to see how this all works out.
WASHINGTON, DC and LAS VEGAS — Today, the Professional Fighters League announced the formation of the world’s only mixed martial arts (MMA) league. The new league will debut in January 2018 with a $10 million prize pool across seven weight classes. The Professional Fighters League purchased the fighting operations and event infrastructure of the World Series of Fighting (WSOF) earlier this year.

Russ Ramsey, Executive Chairman, Professional Fighters League, described the new league as a transformative moment for MMA: “The Professional Fighters League brings a proven sports format that fans love and athletes respect to MMA for the first time. Featuring a regular season, post-season, and championship structure, the launch of the Professional Fighters League continues the evolution of MMA into a professional, mass-market, prime-time sport for a global audience.” The new league is open to all professional MMA fighters worldwide. Fighters will participate in one of seven weight classes and compete in regularly scheduled fights throughout a season. At the end of the regular season, fighters with the best records will advance to a “win-or-go-home” post-season playoff tournament. Each tournament winner in the seven weight classes will be named the Professional Fighters League season champion and collect a $1 million cash prize. An additional $3 million will be shared between other regular season and playoff competitors.

The Professional Fighters League format gives every fighter an equal and fair shot, and provides fans the excitement and transparency of a true sport.

The new league will also deliver a more accessible, engaging and innovative experience for new and current fans of MMA.
The Smurf
 

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby pithikos » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:47 pm

this sounds awesome. And from what I ve read there are big pockets behind this thing. It could actually work.
ImageImage
User avatar
pithikos
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby MissoulaBro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

dope

:tup:
"Don't Be Startled Pal" -Casual Diaz Fan-
Sig Bet Record
6-12
Image
A-League Mar 2016 :gold:
B-League Feb 2016 :silver:
C-League Feb 2017 :gold:
Former King of A-League, Former Lightweight Sig Betting Champion
User avatar
MissoulaBro
Red Belt
Red Belt
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:30 am
Accolades: Mar. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Feb. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby Killgore2025 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Sounds rad as fuck!! I want it to be as good as it sounds.. but... people are stupid and can fuck up everything. High hopes, though!
Killgore2025
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby DeceptaCon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Killgore2025 wrote:Sounds rad as fuck!! I want it to be as good as it sounds.. but... people are stupid and can fuck up everything. High hopes, though!

Spoiler:
Image
B-enjamen
Alexander Volkov, Ilir Latifi, Uriah Hall, David Branch 
Image
Are you ready for the last great deception?
User avatar
DeceptaCon
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 11713
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 pm
Location: Stalking Ker in the Mall of Germany
Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby Killgore2025 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00 pm

DeceptaCon wrote:
Killgore2025 wrote:Sounds rad as fuck!! I want it to be as good as it sounds.. but... people are stupid and can fuck up everything. High hopes, though!

Spoiler:
Image


SEE!! SEE!!! Fedor, ruined now!! Thanks Evil Robot!

Spoiler:
J/k


Spoiler:
Fedor
Killgore2025
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: Wsof gets bought out and turned into something awesome

Postby mmafan559 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 am

Mr Meow wrote:I personally like the idea.

i saw wsof thread not created by mr meow

looked for his thoughts

Image

it's wearing glasses!

but seriously throw some russians or dagestanis or whatever they are called and let them fight and the winner gets adopted and everyone wins

in all seriousness i have not read the OP
Join http://www.tinychat.com/mmalinker on fight nights.
MMA nerds only.
Don't be scared, homie.
I have over 2700 likes on Sherdog.
Image
176.6
BrdrOkm69 wrote:You can be butthurt as much as you'd like, but keep that pain deep inside your butt where it belongs.

Nate Diaz wrote:I've got real training partners. Top 10 fighters. Top 10 boxers. Top 10 jiu-jitsu guys. Top 10 kickboxers. You're playing touch butt with that dork in the park.

Mr Meow wrote:i log off linker and enjoy a meal out and am thinking about my disdain for mcgregor the whole time
User avatar
mmafan559
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 8731
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Next