Close
Login
Register

Can Volkan Defeat Cormier?

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Can Volkan Defeat Cormier?

Postby PainDog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:03 am

Can Volkan Oezdemir pull off the upset and beat UFC LHW champion Daniel Cormier?

The short answer is, of course he can, this is MMA, and upsets are a part of the sport. It was only a few months ago that Rose Namajunas defeated the seemingly unbeatable champion Joanna Jędrzejczyk. Contrary to the popular opinion, which held that Rose’s only hope to pull off the upset would be by submission, she finished Joanna by knock out in the very first round.

A better question is, how likely is it that Volkan Oezdemir can pull off the upset and defeat UFC LHW champion Daniel Cormier.

Without really quantifying the probability of success, I would say the hopes for an upset range from very unlikely to unlikely.

Volkan a 28 year oldTurkish-Swiss fighter who grew up in Switzerland, is primarily a striker. He has a background in karate and has had a few professional kick boxing fights. Additionally, he has spent time in both the Netherlands and in Thailand training muay thai.

There is little evidence of his karate background in his striking techniques (I am not sure on the style of karate, I’m thinking maybe kyokushin). He lacks the quick snapping kicks and quick footwork of a karate stylists, instead he relies on getting in close and throwing punches in the pocket and fighting in the clinch.

This is a dangerous approach when facing an elite wrestler like Daniel Cormier, who also excels in clinch fighting. Daniel Cormier defeated the elusive and swift footed Alexander Gustafsson by controlling him in the clinch and utilizing his powerful dirty boxing.

What is bizarre about Volkan though, is his ability to generate power with very short punches. Volkan’s strikes are not particularly fast, I would say that despite being 10 years younger than Daniel Cormier, Cormier is the faster of the two with regards to hand speed and footwork. Yet somehow Vokan’s short and relatively slow strikes land with fight ending impact. Volkan has scored 11 of his 15 victories by KO nearly all of which happened in the first round.

h

even on the ground Volkan can generate power with a very small range of motion as highlighted in this breakdown

Volkan has several years of grappling experience even prior to competing in MMA, the video below shows him competing in BJJ in 2007.

He also showed capable takedown defense in his first UFC fight against Ovince Saint Preux.

However, his one professional loss came at the hands to a relatively short and stocky accomplished collegiate wrestler Kelly Anundson. Anundson was able to repeatedly take Volkan down in the first round, and ultimately won by submission in the second.

Daniel Cormier another relatively short and stocky LHW is one of the most accomplished wrestlers in all of mixed martial arts. The Anundson fight took place nearly 4 years ago, undoubtedly Oezdimer has improved his take down defense since then. However, if he has improved to the degree he would be able to prevent someone of Cormier’s ability from taking him down is another question.
Even if Volkan can prevent some of Daniel’s takedowns, his preference for fighting in close will likely give Daniel plenty of opportunities to keep going for the take down.

As mentioned earlier nearly all of Volkan’s wins have come in the first round, so it is questionable if he is able to maintain his knockout power in later rounds.

Volkan’s x factor is his power. The amount of power that he generates in such a small space with punches that look relatively slow is something I cannot really understand.

I have seen his fight with Misha Cirkunov several times, and each time I see it, I am still amazed.

It almost looks like a pressure point knock out from a kung fu movie.

His fight with Jimi Manuwa is probably his most impressive win. While the punches that get Jimi back stepping are not quite as bizarre as the one which finished Cirkunov, it again shows how Volkan needs very little space to land fight ending strikes

I will be cheering for Volkan to get the win at UFC 220. However, he has an incredibly difficult task against Daniel Cormier. Cormier and Volkan both have the same preferred striking range, this however will bring Volkan into the range of DC’s most accomplished area, his wrestling.

DC has shown he has a formidable chin, and is capable of fighting 5 hard rounds, the most likely outcome is either DC by submission or UD.
Last edited by PainDog on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

“Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.”
Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Re: Can Volkan Defeat Cormier?

Postby TheMadTitan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:43 am

I would say he has more than a punchers chance? Without adequate knowledge of Volkan's full abilities,I will make the assumption that if Gustafsson style can give Cormier the fight of his life, it bodes pretty well for Volkans chances, if he can attain a very, VERY high level of conditioning and stay patient, he could do it. Volkan hits harder than Gustafsson, but we have not seen him tested, really.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.

TheMadTitan
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:56 am

TheMadTitan wrote:I would say he has more than a punchers chance? Without adequate knowledge of Volkan's full abilities,I will make the assumption that if Gustafsson style can give Cormier the fight of his life, it bodes pretty well for Volkans chances, if he can attain a very, VERY high level of conditioning and stay patient, he could do it. Volkan hits harder than Gustafsson, but we have not seen him tested, really.

Volkan and Alex both prefer to strike, but that is about the extent of their similarities.

When it comes to striking they are more or less opposites. Alex is a counter striker that likes staying on the outside of his opponents reach with quick combinations and quick feet, Volkan is a pressure fighter that likes fighting in the clinch and in close punching range.

Since Volkan and Daniel both have the same preferred range, and Daniel is superior in almost every area of that range from dirty boxing to wrestling, I would say Volkan's chances of success are rather limited and rely heavily on him being able to land a knock out punch.
Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

“Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.”
Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby TheMadTitan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 am

PainDog wrote:
TheMadTitan wrote:I would say he has more than a punchers chance? Without adequate knowledge of Volkan's full abilities,I will make the assumption that if Gustafsson style can give Cormier the fight of his life, it bodes pretty well for Volkans chances, if he can attain a very, VERY high level of conditioning and stay patient, he could do it. Volkan hits harder than Gustafsson, but we have not seen him tested, really.

Volkan and Alex both prefer to strike, but that is about the extent of their similarities.

When it comes to striking they are more or less opposites. Alex is a counter striker that likes staying on the outside of his opponents reach with quick combinations and quick feet, Volkan is a pressure fighter that likes fighting in the clinch and in close punching range.

Since Volkan and Daniel both have the same preferred range, and Daniel is superior in almost every area of that range from dirty boxing to wrestling, I would say Volkan's chances of success are rather limited and rely heavily on him being able to land a knock out punch.

Very good points.This fight is likely too much, too soon for Volkan. Unless DC gets old overnight, injured, or his chin develops Chuck Liddell syndrome, he wins this fight. I would like to see a fresh new champion at LHW personally, but I wouldn't bet on it.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.

TheMadTitan
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Either way I am definitely hoping for the upset :hand1:
Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby TFlock » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Great post PainDog

Dead on! War DC (just because I have him in fantasy)
April B League Team
Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Joe Lauzon
Dillon Danis
Siyar Bahadurzada
Neiman Gracie

Spoiler:
TFlock
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: May 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Survivor Champion, First Linker to hold two Gaming Commission Belts in the Modern Era

Postby hawdrigoh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Good stuff. There's always a chance for the upset but hopefully DC wins in dominant fashion.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
5th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby PainDog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Thank you gentlemen for the feedback...but....hopefully we do have an upset, and we end up with a Turk as LHW champion

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
...even if he is a French speaking Swiss Turk
Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby blackmetalcarson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 pm

I don't even have anything against Cormier. Guy is a great fighter and a great dude. I'm also hoping for the upset, though. Just to shake things up. I do not see it happening though.
blackmetalcarson
Linker's Resident Asshole

Postby slevin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm

It is an interesting match up. Coincidentally both challengers' narrative to win this fight are the same. I dont know if that is uncreative fight promotion, or just a coincidence...either way it seems like Volkan's and Ngannou's path to victory on a broad spectrum are the same.

I think DC has to be careful when clinching with Volkan, but this may be one fight Volkan may want to avoid the clinch in. I think he should look to pressure DC use his range like the way he did when he fought OSP. Can not remember that fight, but I do think Volkan was cutting OSP off, and I think if Volkan were to do that, and use body strikes he would have success. Gus, AJ, and Jon all hurt DC to the body, it would be in Volkan's best interest to use body strikes, and keep the range. If DC closes the distance Volkan should look to hit and break from the clinch. Not stay too long there other wise DC may be able to use his dirty boxing, and get a take down.

I haven't looked into much depth with this fight. Because I feel like this will be a fight where we look back and hindsight we say the result was obvious or predictable. I see it either playing two different ways: Volkan, volkans DC in the first round, or DC takes Volkan down, and submits him.
slevin
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: 1st ever Draft Style Pick Em Champion
The Last Man Standing: Royal Rumble Champ
Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champ
2014 MMALinker Grand Prix Winner
Survivor
Grand Prix Survivor Champion
June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion
Dec 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion
MMALinker August Fantasy Fix GP Champion

Postby philphan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Volkan will KO DC in the second round. He will knock him out fucking cold. Then he will say, Who is JV now fucker?
Anyone who disagrees should come to chat on Saturday and say it to my face. :cig: :mrgreen:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters- Israel Adesanya, Brad Tavares, Karolina Kowalkiewicz, Alex Oliveira, Juliana Velasquez
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby DeceptaCon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm

This is a trap fight for Cormier.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby hawdrigoh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am

philphan wrote:Volkan will KO DC in the second round. He will knock him out fucking cold.

DeceptaCon wrote:This is a trap fight for Cormier.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby philphan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 am

hawdrigoh wrote:
philphan wrote:Volkan will KO DC in the second round. He will knock him out fucking cold.

DeceptaCon wrote:This is a trap fight for Cormier.
Spoiler:

Not even close.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters- Israel Adesanya, Brad Tavares, Karolina Kowalkiewicz, Alex Oliveira, Juliana Velasquez
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby hawdrigoh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm

:tup: Volkan's a beast but fighting the elite guys who can do everything is a different level. Hopefully he gets there soon.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Next

Return to MMA Discussion