twitter google

Morning Report: Junior dos Santos doesn’t want to wait ‘too long,’ says ‘bring it on’ if UFC wants to book new opponent

The first rally for Mark Hunt failed. Now we shall see if the second try can do any better. If you missed it yesterday, among the relentless flood of fight bookings, Alistair Overeem once again had to withdraw from his scheduled bout against former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos. This time an injury was the root of the problem, and just like last year, Mark Hunt wasted little time throwing his name into the running.If I get the call for the fight, I’m there, of course, Hunt told MMAFighting.com, and the fans are crazy for it, so it’s good. I was born down. You know this. Aside from providing an early candidate for quote of the year, Hunt has a far more compelling case this time around to receive the shot. Not only is he fresh off a highlight-reel knockout of Stefan Struve, but he’s also the only heavyweight in the UFC’s top-10 (besides Struve) not already booked for a fight. Plus, dos Santos is no longer the champion, so the implications for the bout are far less dramatic. As of this writing, UFC officials have yet to announce dos Santos’ fate. Although, for what it’s worth, the Brazilian would prefer not to wait, even if it meant fighting a late replacement. The top guys are all tied up, but at the same time Junior’s not looking to sit out too long, Ana Guedes, Dos Santos’ attorney and representative, told Bleacher Report. If it’s a real extensive injury (to Overeem) or something, you don’t want to wait. We’re definitely just waiting for news. Junior’s position is ‘I don’t choose my opponents. So if they choose for me to fight Overeem and I have to wait so be it, and if they decide there’s another guy I should fight, then bring it on’. 6 MUST-READ STORIES Overeem injured, Hunt wants in. Former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem suffered an undisclosed injury in training, leading to his withdrawal from a scheduled bout against Junior dos Santos at UFC 160. Dos Santos’ manager subsequently told Beacher Report that her fighter wasn’t looking to sit out too long, adding that dos Santos’ position was, If they decide there’s another guy I should fight, then bring it on. Meanwhile, top-10 heavyweight Mark Hunt immediately threw his name into the running, providing the quote of the century by proclaiming, I was born down. You know this. Silva vs. Weidman. As expected, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will defend his belt against undefeated prospect Chris Weidman in the featured bout of the UFC’s Fourth of July weekend pay-per-view, UFC 162. Said Weidman to New York Newsday: Dream come true. Ever since I’ve been fighting, Anderson Silva has been the champion and I’ve been visualizing beating him. Now I have the opportunity. I have to make the most of it. Bellator 92 weigh-in results. All eight main card fighters met their required weight at Wednesday’s official Bellator 92 weigh-ins, including featherweight tournament semifinalists Marlon Sandro and Frodo Khasbulaev. Barao vs. Wineland. UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao will make the second defense of his title against Eddie Wineland as the main event of UFC 161. Barao hoped to fight injured champ Dominick Cruz, however Cruz still has no timetable for his return. Coleman retires. 48-year-old UFC Hall of Famer Mark The Hammer Coleman announced his official retirement from mixed martial arts. Coleman is scheduled to undergo a total hip replacement early next week. Fight bookings. Aside from the annoucncements mentioned above, there were roughly 447 UFC bookings on Wednesday. You can find the complete listing at the bottom of this page, but among the more notable ones: Erik Perez vs. Johnny Bedford at UFC 159, Pat Barry vs. Shawn Jordan at UFC 162, Mark Munoz vs. Tim Boetsch at UFC 162, Rafael Feijao Cavalcante vs. Thiago Silva at UFC 162, and Joseph Benavidez vs. Darren Uyenoyama at UFC on FOX 7. MEDIA STEW Considering the current circumstances, it seems fitting to lead off with this gem from 12 years ago. Rory MacDonald was the latest fighter to receive the Full Blast treatment for UFC 154’s brief co-main event. Nine second knockouts are kind of our thing here at the Morning Report, and today’s offering comes straight from the U.K. (HT: MiddleEasy) That Mark Hunt interview is dangerously realistic. Tank Abbott: 47 years old and still cutting promos. I’m not going to lie, I have no idea what’s going on here. But I’m almost positive some of you do. It was kind of like getting in a fight with your little sister, you know? Just slapping around at you. — Frank Mir, twisting the knife further into Brock Lesnar. #RALLYFORMARKHUNT I want in troops and only the boss @danawhite can make it happen lets go army ATTACK the general wants in on this fight ”” mark richard hunt (@markhunt1974) March 7, 2013 SKYSCRAPER AND THE BOSS Different angle :0 twitter.com/StefanStruve/s”¦ ”” Stefan Struve (@StefanStruve) March 6, 2013 @danawhite ok with painkillers and lots of sleep, waitin for surgery.. They need 2 make sure I don’t have a h…

View the entire story here

Follow MMALinker